In the chilly winter months there’s nothing better than getting rugged up with a delicious hot chocolate in hand. That’s why I’m uncovering the best hot chocolate makers to automate your cocoa cravings. After a good week of investigating my recommendation is the Mr Coffee Cocomotion.
Why Get A Hot Chocolate Maker?
The obvious answer is: why not?!
But seriously there's heaps of benifits of buying a hot chocolate maker rather than making it by hand.
- 1Hot chocolate in bulk: Firstly it’s much easier to make hot chocolate in bulk. I know from personal experienced making hot choc for the whole family takes ages! It’s much more efficient making 4 big mugs with a hot chocolate machine. Just add all the ingratiates, press start, and its all set to go
- 2Easy to clean: Cleaning up is ridiculously easy. All it involves is a quick rise with soapy water under a tap. Give it a dry and its ready for use once again.
- 3Great fun Experimenting: Get creative and start mixing in flavours and syrups to make custom hot chocolate. Maybe add actual chocolate blocks or sprinkle flakes on top. It’s all good. Just don’t forget the marshmallows.
Best Hot Chocolate Maker Picks
1. Mr Coffee Cocomotion - Top Pick
Don’t be fooled by its name, the Cocomotion by Mr Coffee makes a mean hot chocolate.
Just add cocoa, milk and press on – it’s as easy as that!
The hot chocolate will froth and heat up perfectly before turning itself off automatically.
It has the capacity to make 4 big mugs of hot chocolate and is very kid friendly.
In my opinion the Cocomotion is the best hot chocolate maker out right now simply because its the perfect balance between cost, build quality, capacity and ease of use.
2. Nostalgia Hot Chocolate Maker - Runner Up
Coming in at a great entry level price the Nostalgia packs out enough punch to make any chocolate lover happy.
It has a handy tap that allows you to pour your beverage on demand and is big enough to produce 4 mugs of chocolate goodness.
The main difference between the Nostalgia and the Mr Coffee above is that the Nostalgia has no automatic shut off. This means you’ll have to keep an eye on the machine while it heats up. A good strategy is to set your kitchen timer to 4 minutes before turning it off.
But this lack of timer is mitigated by its low cost as its half the price of the Cocomotion. It's the best hot chocolate maker for people looking for a budget machine.
3. Breville Milk Frother - Adult's Choice
For those who love the look of stainless steel the Breville hot chocolate maker is perfect for adult chocoholics.
It’ll look great next to all your appliances and if anyone asks what it is you can say it’s a “tea kettle”… not your naughty little treat.
We’re healthy individuals after all.
It can make 25 ounces of hot cocoa with ability to pre-set your temperature, milk density, and auto-turn off.
It’s the most “high tech” hot chocolate maker. It can also be used as a great milk frother for your lattes.
4. 5l Commercial - Commercial Hot Chocolate Maker
For serious chocaholics only.
The 5L holds up to 1.3 Gallons of hot chocolate and comes equipped with a slow stirrer and progressive temperature control to keep your hot choc perfect all day long.
Obviously this machine is designed for high volume consumption. And sure it may be better suited for a cafe than at home.
But have you ever felt like drinking a gallon of hot chocolate before?
If your answer is “yes” then this machine may be for you. Besides its commercial build quality means it’ll last for years to come – just watch out for its price. Expensive.
5. Mr. Coffee BVMC-HC5 - An Alternative
The MVMC-HC5 is the a variation of the Cocomotion that has a few extra features, mainly it comes equipped with an optional “chocolate tray” that allows you to dissolve whole blocks of chocolate inside the machine.
This opens up a world of Willy Wonka possibilities as you can melt different chocolates and treats into your beverage.
In terms of capacity its slightly smaller than the original Cocomotion, but it still has that automatic shut off that makes it a breeze to use.
6. West Blend Hot Cocoa - Avoid
The West Blend is another budget hot cocoa maker.
It has the capacity to make 4 mugs of hot chocolate and also comes with an auto shut off so you don’t have to keep an eye on it.
However I’ve found that this machine lacks in the build quality department, as a lot of people have complained about buttons falling off and its noise.
I’d recommend going for either of the Mr Coffees above instead.